Is Facebook doomed? We still have Instagram. And Zuckerberg still has us by the #balls.
The Guardian, Monday 29 April 2013: ‘In the last month, the world’s largest social network has lost 6m US visitors, a 4% fall, according to analysis firm SocialBakers. In the UK, 1.4m fewer users checked in last month, a fall of 4.5%. The declines are sustained. In the last six months, Facebook has lost nearly 9m monthly visitors in the US and 2m in the UK.
Users are also switching off in Canada, Spain, France, Germany and Japan, where Facebook has some of its biggest followings. A spokeswoman for Facebook declined to comment.’
Is Facebook doomed? Maybe. And more or less everyone is celebrating the fact. Facebook has become an unstoppable juggernaut, a gigantic Moloch that swallows everything everyone ever did, said, lived. Even worse: it has become something nobody likes, but has to live with, for some strange reason. But there is at least one person that doesn’t care too much about it, and that’s Mr. Evil Baphomet Behemoth Lucifer Mark Elliot Zuckerberg. In fact, he’s having a right laugh, for a simple reason: he bought Instagram, some time ago, and, while everybody was going “WTF??”, we said the move was genius (‘Three good reasons why Facebook bought Instagram’).
Look at the comments below. Now, the same people are taking pictures of #food on Instagram, like there’s no tomorrow.
Yes, Instagram is where all the users Facebook is losing are going to, at the moment. And that moment is going to last for a good while, for a few reasons:
1. The present of the Internet is image-based. Nobody want to read stuff online anymore, unless it is relevant – i.e. The Economist and BuzzFeed GOOD, your status about how you are fed up with the weather in London BAD. Moreover, “A picture is worth a thousand words” and blah blah blah.
2. Video is the future, folks.
3. Mobile is the future, kids. And Facebook for mobile is just crap.
4. It’s addictive. Yes, Instagram is bloody addictive.
5. There a shift from “curator” to “creator”. And, if you still really want to be a curator, then go for Tumblr.
6. Instagram doesn’t bother you with ads, it’s simple – although many features could be changed and make it work – it’s still yours, you don’t have to pay to have to reach users with your posts, and your mother is not using it – yet.
When it comes to Gen Y, there’s a great article on Mashable, written by a 13 year old kid, that explains the situation: ‘I’m 13 and None of My Friends Use Facebook’. For the rest of us ex-kids, just consider this: when your friend who had a BlackBerry until two months ago finally gets an iPhone and start taking pictures of cupcakes somewhere in West London, then you know everybody is moving to Instagram.
Finally, here’s the top 3 Instagram situations of the week.
A bored 50 Cent claims he’s the “coolest man alive”.
@mrpimpgoodgame’s collection of selfies.
And Miley Cyrus’ Photoshop Fail.
What do you think?
Tags: #fail, 50 Cent, @mrpimpgoodgame, ‘I'm 13 and None of My Friends Use Facebook’, Blackberry, BuzzFeed, Canada, Facebook, folks, food, France, geek, geeky stuff, Gen Y, Germany, Image-based, Instagram, iPhone 5s, Japan, London Web Agency Appnova, Mark Zuckerberg, Mashable, Miley Cyrus, Mobile, nerd, Photoshop Fail, selfie, Socialbakers, Spain, The Economist, The Guardian, Video is the future, WTF
- New site for our friends @iiuvo 👌 - #webdesign #digitalagency #creativeagency #fashion #fragrance #design #minimal… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 month ago
- When real life starts to resemble CGI 🤔 - #whatisreal #marketing #digitalmarketing #existentialcrisis #athletics https://t.co/ifss4iv2zw 1 month ago
- Went to the Scottish island of Bute. Unfortunately it turned out someone had already thought of the strap line "But… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 month ago
- A look at our obsession with #lifestyle #brands and the cultural construction of identity: bit.ly/2we8lF1 1 month ago
- Pleased to see two of our favourite beauty clients @MillerHarris and #AlmoraBotanica featured in this week's… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 month ago
- Right now, #fashion is fixated on #data. What's the reality of our obsession for the industry?… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 2 months ago
- Christmas eCommerce: Keep it merry and stress-free!
- The future of social media? Look at dating sites. No, seriously.
- Brand Relaunch inferno / feat. Tesco, NME, Siemens, and VOV.
- 3 reasons we are VERY excited this week – Featuring the app that will change EVERYTHING FOREVER!
- Internet Obsessions: pets (not only cats!), money, and Beyoncé & Jay-Z.