“Four legs good, two legs bad.”
― George Orwell, Animal Farm
The Internet is a strange place where strange things happen. But it looks like three trends are going strong, nowadays: money, animals, and the Carter Family (i.e. Beyoncé, Jay-Z, and their kids).
Animals have always been big on the Internet, but there seems to be a shift, from mostly cats and (some) dogs, to other kinds of zoological creatures.
So, while online cats are “so everywhere” Vice even made a documentary about them – see below – non-cat owners too are trying to cash in on their pets.
Remember “Maddie on things”? The latest evolution of the concept is “Stuff On My Rabbit”. Are rabbits the new cats? We don’t know, let’s see what happens next. it’s not clear why would you put a wrench on your rabbit’s head, though.
We’ve been talking about this for a while – see previous posts – as the “Yo yo I’m mothaf***in’ rich and you ain’t” thing still seems to go strong, despite poverty, famines and the global recession. Here’s the latest Guru of this movement, @itslavishbitch, AKA the most hated human being on the planet right now, AKA the man who comes up with inspiring quotes such as “More money on my chest than in yo bank account”, “These peasants keep hating while my money keep calculating” and “You made your bed so sleep in it, peasant”. Even Rihanna told him to stop. He replied: “Broke bitch ur net worth only 80m.”
And here’s how 50 Cent explains what it’s like to be filthy rich.
The Carter Family
There is something weird going on: people worshipping Beyoncé, Jay-Z and the rest of the family are now giving the whole thing a twist that puts these individuals in the most iconic paintings in history, something that sounds like a Beatification.
Here’s “The Carter Family Portrait Gallery”
And “Beyoncé Art History”
What do you think?
Photo sources: see links
The Guardian, Monday 29 April 2013: ‘In the last month, the world’s largest social network has lost 6m US visitors, a 4% fall, according to analysis firm SocialBakers. In the UK, 1.4m fewer users checked in last month, a fall of 4.5%. The declines are sustained. In the last six months, Facebook has lost nearly 9m monthly visitors in the US and 2m in the UK.
Users are also switching off in Canada, Spain, France, Germany and Japan, where Facebook has some of its biggest followings. A spokeswoman for Facebook declined to comment.’
Is Facebook doomed? Maybe. And more or less everyone is celebrating the fact. Facebook has become an unstoppable juggernaut, a gigantic Moloch that swallows everything everyone ever did, said, lived. Even worse: it has become something nobody likes, but has to live with, for some strange reason. But there is at least one person that doesn’t care too much about it, and that’s Mr. Evil Baphomet Behemoth Lucifer Mark Elliot Zuckerberg. In fact, he’s having a right laugh, for a simple reason: he bought Instagram, some time ago, and, while everybody was going “WTF??”, we said the move was genius (‘Three good reasons why Facebook bought Instagram’).
Look at the comments below. Now, the same people are taking pictures of #food on Instagram, like there’s no tomorrow.
Yes, Instagram is where all the users Facebook is losing are going to, at the moment. And that moment is going to last for a good while, for a few reasons:
1. The present of the Internet is image-based. Nobody want to read stuff online anymore, unless it is relevant – i.e. The Economist and BuzzFeed GOOD, your status about how you are fed up with the weather in London BAD. Moreover, “A picture is worth a thousand words” and blah blah blah.
2. Video is the future, folks.
3. Mobile is the future, kids. And Facebook for mobile is just crap.
4. It’s addictive. Yes, Instagram is bloody addictive.
5. There a shift from “curator” to “creator”. And, if you still really want to be a curator, then go for Tumblr.
6. Instagram doesn’t bother you with ads, it’s simple – although many features could be changed and make it work – it’s still yours, you don’t have to pay to have to reach users with your posts, and your mother is not using it – yet.
When it comes to Gen Y, there’s a great article on Mashable, written by a 13 year old kid, that explains the situation: ‘I’m 13 and None of My Friends Use Facebook’. For the rest of us ex-kids, just consider this: when your friend who had a BlackBerry until two months ago finally gets an iPhone and start taking pictures of cupcakes somewhere in West London, then you know everybody is moving to Instagram.
Finally, here’s the top 3 Instagram situations of the week.
A bored 50 Cent claims he’s the “coolest man alive”.
@mrpimpgoodgame’s collection of selfies.
And Miley Cyrus’ Photoshop Fail.
What do you think?
Parties, bottles of Krug, caviar, VIPs, Penelope Cruz, the Dalai Lama, Bono and 50 Cent talking about Kierkegaard, more champagne, white tigers, Russian gazillionaires, Mega Giga Super Yachts, Extra Top Models, Lenny Kravitz, red carpets, 545,886 people screaming outside the venue, a 334-metre long limo, golden Bentleys and, of course, The Kardashians: Welcome to the exclusive world of Luxury.
Kim Kardashian. Standing there. Beautiful. Gorgeous. She’s getting paid 3 grand a minute to be there. People screaming outside the venue. More champagne.
The question is: Luxury Brands could save some money on champagne, and invest in copywriters, community managers and social media strategists with more than three sentences and a half-chewed idea under the belt, right?
Here is a list of 5 Annoying Things You See EVERYWHERE.
1. The Holy triptych gorgeous + stunning + amazing. If the copywriter is having one of her/his Oscar Wilde-esque days, then you’ll have the chance to find the word “perfect” written somewhere.
Look at the following posts (by Versace)
2. ‘We are delighted to ________.’
Whatever comes next in the sentence, they are delighted to be short of ideas. Seriously, though, come up with another thing; here’s some useful synonyms: blown away, ecstatic, elated, exulting, flipping, flushed, flying, gleeful, high, joyful, joyous, jubilant, overjoyed, rejoicing, reveling, transported, triumphant, turned on, wowed
3. The word “Exciting” applied to any kind of situation, from the new collection Versace x Gaga, to Plumbo, Norway’s most popular – and probably only – drain cleaner.
4. The expressions “J’adore”, “Want”, “Adoro” etc.
J’adore what? Who wants what? Adoro che? What happened to subject, direct object and pronoun, postmodifiers and complements?
5. The whole world behind the word “Spotted:”
Which is basically when you meet someone famous in the streets, no make-up, Frappuccino in one hand, flip flops and a D&G t-shirt. So the brand goes “Wow, this is the real deal, let’s use it, our fans will freak out when they’ll see an unstaged picture of some celeb looking miserable wearing one of our creations”.
Here’s another list of words similar to “spot”: catch, catch sight of, descry, detect, determinate, diagnose, discern, discover, distinguish, encounter, espy, ferret out, find, identify, locate, make out, meet with, observe, pick out, pinpoint, place, point out, sight, trace, track.
What do you think?
- We take a look at the numbers to help you strategise for the year ahead. appnova.com/6-important-uk… https://t.co/k9WmQ0NPKn 7 months ago
- Your social channels are also an essential customer service platform. Here are some key stats to take into consider… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 7 months ago
- We look at how #influencermarketing will evolve over the next year and offer up some advice for #agencies, #brands… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 9 months ago
- New site for our friends @iiuvo 👌 - #webdesign #digitalagency #creativeagency #fashion #fragrance #design #minimal… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 year ago
- When real life starts to resemble CGI 🤔 - #whatisreal #marketing #digitalmarketing #existentialcrisis #athletics https://t.co/ifss4iv2zw 1 year ago
- Went to the Scottish island of Bute. Unfortunately it turned out someone had already thought of the strap line "But… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 year ago
- Christmas eCommerce: Keep it merry and stress-free!
- The future of social media? Look at dating sites. No, seriously.
- Brand Relaunch inferno / feat. Tesco, NME, Siemens, and VOV.
- 3 reasons we are VERY excited this week – Featuring the app that will change EVERYTHING FOREVER!
- Internet Obsessions: pets (not only cats!), money, and Beyoncé & Jay-Z.