Has fashion become a senseless circus? Featuring weird ad campaigns, an extra thin Beyoncé and Karl Lagerfeld sporting a yellow safety vest.
Of course you have to consider new markets, BRIC, Russian taste, Chinese future customers, Brazilian trends, you constantly have to astonish and amaze, you need to go weird and arty and cutting-edge, you have to choose the right testimonial but at the same time you have to surprise your fans / followers / afinicionados / clientele, but, seriously, it looks like fashion brands are losing the plot. Big time.
Remember the what-is-going-on-here? Chanel ad starring a confused, mumbling Brad Pitt?
What about the Yeti-like pyjamas, courtesy of Chanel, once again?
Who’s Chanel’s controversial creative director, the man behind these bold moves? It’s Karl Lagerfeld! And he’s wearing a safety vest!
The Telegraph reports: ‘Courtney Love joins fellow controversial rocker Marilyn Manson for the latest Saint Laurent campaign shot by creative director Hedi Slimane.’
So, Yves Saint Laurent – the man who said “I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style” – meets Marilyn Manson, Honorary Priest of the Church of Satan? Yes, it’s perfectly fine.
Dolce & Gabbana’s new testimonial is Leo Messi. Yep. The female fan base screams FAIL! Look at the comments on their Facebook page.
Talking about social media backfire, apparently Roberto Cavalli is swimming in muddy waters, after the fashion designer published this sketch of Beyoncé, looking nothing like the real thing. Check the Facebook page for the usual stream of insults.
Russia: fashion is getting bigger and bigger, and ads are going weirder and weirder. Look at this masterpiece:
Finally, a smart fashion ad campaign. Oi, wait a sec, that’s a chocolate-flavoured drink ad! GENIUS.
From www.bestadsontv.com: ‘Arla Foods are launching Wing-co., a new chocolate flavoured drink designed for men, with a print campaign devised by CHI & Partners.
The campaign, which launches in press and 6$ from 3rd June, is a parody of over-masculine ‘Pour Homme’ fragrance advertising.
Shot by fashion photographer Matt Irwin, the ads show a rugged model performing exaggerated feats of manliness with nonchalance. He is a man, with added man. Be it balancing a huge tree trunk over one shoulder, carrying a full size live lioness or sitting in plus fours sporting a flamethrower, he remains unflustered.’
I was part of the in crowd, yesterday, watching Sir Paul Smith turn Central Saint Martins into an Apollonial temple filled with beauty and elegance.
His Spring 2013 RTW is simply stunning.
That’s how Vogue described the atmosphere: ‘The light-filled space was a great setting for Smith’s colorful spring collection, and a vibrant combination of seafoam, mustard yellow, and flame reds on blouses and button-downs reflected the optimism you would expect to find in a creative ideas factory like this.’
Here it is.
VOGUE’s Fashion Night Out 2012 / A personal voyage. Feat. Michael Kors, luxury junk food and scary bearded men
Last night I went to VOGUE’s 2012 Fashion’s Night Out, in Mayfair.
I like fashion – from a sociological point of view and as a fascinating manipulation and adaptation of quasi-art, which suddenly becomes a wearable object, useful and aesthetically appealing at the same time – but I tend to avoid fashion-related events.
It’s like when you enjoy the aesthetics, passion and poetry of football, but you don’t want to join a horde of drunk, testosterone-driven thugs at Boleyn Ground. Read More…
- We take a look at the numbers to help you strategise for the year ahead. appnova.com/6-important-uk… https://t.co/k9WmQ0NPKn 10 months ago
- Your social channels are also an essential customer service platform. Here are some key stats to take into consider… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 10 months ago
- We look at how #influencermarketing will evolve over the next year and offer up some advice for #agencies, #brands… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 1 year ago
- New site for our friends @iiuvo 👌 - #webdesign #digitalagency #creativeagency #fashion #fragrance #design #minimal… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 year ago
- When real life starts to resemble CGI 🤔 - #whatisreal #marketing #digitalmarketing #existentialcrisis #athletics https://t.co/ifss4iv2zw 1 year ago
- Went to the Scottish island of Bute. Unfortunately it turned out someone had already thought of the strap line "But… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 year ago
- Christmas eCommerce: Keep it merry and stress-free!
- The future of social media? Look at dating sites. No, seriously.
- Brand Relaunch inferno / feat. Tesco, NME, Siemens, and VOV.
- 3 reasons we are VERY excited this week – Featuring the app that will change EVERYTHING FOREVER!
- Internet Obsessions: pets (not only cats!), money, and Beyoncé & Jay-Z.